About Me

My photo

I've been designing and making textile figures for many years. I have also recently taken up knitting and crochet again after a lengthy break  and I'm LOVING IT!  Textile Creations UK (http://textilecreationsuk.blogspot.com ) is my new website/ Blog, which includes all my knitted, crocheted, sewn, woven textile creations.
  

Tuesday, 2 April 2013

Crochet ~ How do you hold your Yarn?

CAN YOU CROCHET?

In my experience, those who complain that they cannot crochet are just not holding the yarn correctly and consequently get in a terrible twist, unable to see the stitches on the needle as they all bunch up.

Ultimately you need to hold the yarn and the project in a way that is comfortable for YOU, but you need to make sure you have a proper control of the yarn and the work on the left and the needle on the right. (If you are right-handed)

As you hold the yarn you are providing a certain amount of tension to keep the work open and easier to see and work. 

See the position of BOTH hands for holding and working the yarn, below:
This is taken from the YouTube tutorial below.
Here the right hand forefinger guides the hook, while the middle finger and thumb of the left hand hold the work away from the hook and the forefinger of the left hand guides the yarn.


BASICS:
  1. Hold the yarn in your less dominant hand. (i.e. the left if you are right-handed), which will direct the yarn from the ball to the hook.
  2. Grip the hook in your dominant hand between thumb and forefinger. The forefinger of your dominant hand will direct the hook, while the middle finger and thumb on this hand, will hold the work on the opposite side to the yarn ball, as the piece grows.
  3. Your yarn hand controls the tension of the work and determines how open your crochet will be. Too close and the stitches bunch up and tighten, making them more difficult to work.
  4. Your forefinger will direct the yarn as you crochet, while the thumb and middle finger of your less dominant hand will hold your crochet work away from the hook.


As you see I have taken a step away from cloth figures for this post. While it is possible to crochet dolls and figures, I intend to amalgamate my knitting blog with this one, as this blog is entitled Textile Creations.

1 comment:

  1. I knit continental style, and I find that I actually hold the yarn in the same way over the finger as I do with knitting.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the trouble to comment, it brightens my day.