About Me

My photo

I've been designing and making textile figures for many years. I have also recently taken up knitting and crochet again after a lengthy break  and I'm LOVING IT!  Textile Creations UK (http://textilecreationsuk.blogspot.com ) is my new website/ Blog, which includes all my knitted, crocheted, sewn, woven textile creations.
  

Saturday, 24 November 2012

FABRIC MANIPULATION ~ Textile Sculpted Figures

FABRIC MANIPULATION Textile Art & DesignTrapunto/ quilting; appliqué; folding; pleating; gathering; layering; fraying e.t.c. 

I would add to this list knowing the fabric medium, because unless you know about the properties of fabric (selvedge, bias weft, warp, stretch and thread count) you will come across many difficulties when making your final creations.

While costuming for soft sculpted cloth figures lends itself really well to folding, pleating, fraying, gathering and layering fabric, it is also possible to use these techniques in other innovative ways.

I used Trapunto for veining the mermaid tail and to create a root system on the Earth figure's feet.

Needle-sculpting facial features is much like quilting: (i.e.to pad and stitch ornamentally) 
It can also be used to create designs on the body and limbs.




Appliqué and fraying can be used to embellish the body, add eye lashes and other features. 

< This is Cushionella's hat, complete with frayed embellishment around its edge.





Are you up for this challenge?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the trouble to comment, it brightens my day.