About Me

My photo

I've been designing and making textile figures for many years. I have also recently taken up knitting and crochet again after a lengthy break  and I'm LOVING IT!  Textile Creations UK (http://textilecreationsuk.blogspot.com ) is my new website/ Blog, which includes all my knitted, crocheted, sewn, woven textile creations.
  

Monday, 15 October 2012

Rising to the Challenge


Doll making groups often set challenge competitions on certain themes and sometime using certain fabrics or colours. Doll makers submit their dolls for judging to win prizes and rosettes. 


Sophie Goth
one of two 1st Prize Winners 2008

by Madeleine Sara



Our Internet Group set this Cushion Doll Challenge for 2005. 
This Challenge was inspired by a member’s encounter whilst trying to get local business to sell her cloth figures.  She told us: ‘One gallery owner  said “fabric doesn't sell well in my shop; people just don't want to buy cushions.” I didn’t see the point of explaining to her the difference between a doll and a cushion and just left the shop’. 
This comment sparked speculation on what a ‘cushion doll’ would look like and so the challenge competition was set.
Cushionella 1st prize winner 2005 
for group challenge set by
ClothdollmakersUK   
Designed and made by Sara Maddocks  

Cushion doll for me conjures up images of plump, soft, comforting, relaxing, zoftig (full-bosomed; having a full, shapely figure), flouncy billowing, puffs, folds, layers, sumptuous/opulent soft furnishing fabrics, tassel/ fringes/ piping/ bead/ ribbon embellishment. I also considered the different types and shapes of cushions and of course my colour scheme, which became red and gold. I felt that the ‘doll’ and ‘cushion’ should have equal emphasis, so I gave her a bust that looked like two cushions. I shaped the bottom of her body like a square cushion with tassels, resting on the cushion-bustle of her Marie Antoinette style skirt. Her arms were made to resemble combinations of round and bolster-shaped cushions, whilst her legs were made to resemble a combination of pretty, frilly square and bolster boudoir cushions. The whole effect was to look like a pile of cushions and yet look like a complete doll. Her hat gives her an almost Elizabethan flair. She is embellished with beads, fringes and trim.
Madeleine Sara Maddocks




Our Internet Group ClothdollmakersUK also

set this 'Hot Flush Challenge' (above) in 2004.

Entries from left to right by Linda Misa; 

Myra Mylott & Teresa Maylon.



Have you ever taken up a challenge?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the trouble to comment, it brightens my day.